Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#302479 - 26/09/2007 19:09 Re: Windows XP problem: "Show Desktop" icon no longer works [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
but don't see where it can correct/repair file associations.

According to uncle Google:

Quote:
1. Access the TweakUI Control Panel applet (if you do not have it installed, read the tip elsewhere in MalekTips).
2. On the multi-tabbed dialog box that appears, click on the "Repair" tab (you may need to click on the arrows next to the tabs to cycle through the tabbed windows).
3. Click on the pulldown arrow and choose "Repair Associations."
4. Now, click "Repair Now."
5. Click "OK" to close the dialog box.

I think that was the Win98 version instructions, but maybe XP is similar.

#302480 - 26/09/2007 19:29 Re: Windows XP problem: "Show Desktop" icon no longer works [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I don't see anything that looks like file association stuff in TweakUI for XP v2.10.0.0.

#302481 - 26/09/2007 19:32 Re: Windows XP problem: "Show Desktop" icon no longer works [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Darn. Where else can we get some kind of fixer for that sort of thing?

#302482 - 26/09/2007 19:39 Re: Windows XP problem: "Show Desktop" icon no longer works [Re: AndrewT]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Quote:
From there: File -> Import... and browse to the *.reg file you want to import.

Oh.

Now that makes me feel like a doofus. I should have been smart enough to think of that. I'll give it a try when I get home tonight.

tanstaafl.

#302483 - 26/09/2007 19:44 Re: Windows XP problem: "Show Desktop" icon no longer works [Re: tfabris]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Quote:
But my worry is that the thing that's broken is the association for .SCF files, and that's why the microsoft KB fix isn't working for him.

It may well be broken, in fact that is the most likely explanation for the problem. But what IS a file association other than a couple of lines in the Windows Registry? The REG section in my work computer registry looks exactly the same as the REG section in my computer at home. If the Registry is correct, can the file association still be broken?

Apparently the Show Desktop routine calls on some snippet of code within Internet Explorer. Could the problem lie within IE?

tanstaafl.

#302484 - 26/09/2007 19:54 Re: Windows XP problem: "Show Desktop" icon no longer works [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
But what IS a file association other than a couple of lines in the Windows Registry?

For the most part, yes, that's all it is.

Sometimes those lines in the windows registry will point to something called a "handler", which is an entry point in a DLL, that runs actual code when that file extension is encountered.

When you had a problem getting the SCF to work *AND* getting the REG to work, I thought that maybe a whole bunch of file associations had gotten messed up. But perhaps that's not it at all; like you said, the registry entry looks correct to you.

Quote:
Could the problem lie within IE?

Very well could be!

#302485 - 26/09/2007 19:59 Re: Windows XP problem: "Show Desktop" icon no longer works [Re: tfabris]
AndrewT
old hand

Loc: Oxford, UK
Here is a collection of *.reg files. The *.scf is more complete than the one I posted further up. Amongst them there's also one for *.reg association.

Edited by AndrewT (26/09/2007 20:00)

#302486 - 26/09/2007 21:14 Re: Windows XP problem: "Show Desktop" icon no longer works [Re: tfabris]
Ladmo
addict

Loc: Oklahoma
I just dug through one of the databases and it gives this info. Would be interested to know what happens when you try it?

If the Show Desktop icon is deleted from Quick Launch, the procedure below will recreate the file.

Open Notepad and enter the following text:

[Shell]
Command=2
IconFile=explorer.exe,3
[Taskbar]
Command=ToggleDesktop

Save the new file as Show Desktop.scf then drag and drop the icon on the Quick Launch bar or
whatever location you want the shortcut to appear.

#302487 - 26/09/2007 21:20 Re: Windows XP problem: "Show Desktop" icon no longer works [Re: Ladmo]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Yes, that's exactly the procedure he was trying to follow. It did not work, because the SCF file isn't being treated like an executable script.

At first we thought it was because the file association for SCF was messed up, but doug says the registry is correct for SCF file associations.

#302488 - 26/09/2007 22:07 Re: Windows XP problem: "Show Desktop" icon no longer works [Re: tfabris]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Yes, that's exactly the procedure he was trying to follow. It did not work, because the SCF file isn't being treated like an executable script.

At first we thought it was because the file association for SCF was messed up, but doug says the registry is correct for SCF file associations.

I'm afraid you're going to have to use the universal Windows fix:

Step 1 - Reinstall Windows
Step 2 - Repeat as necessary

#302489 - 27/09/2007 04:44 Re: Windows XP problem: "Show Desktop" icon no longer works [Re: AndrewT]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Here is a collection of *.reg files. The *.scf is more complete than the one I posted further up. Amongst them there's also one for *.reg association.

Yes, indeed!

The *.scf fixer worked! So, Tony was right all along.

The *reg fixer did not work, but Schido's suggestion of just forcing regedit.exe as the default program for all files of type *.reg did work. I would have done that from the beginning but I just didn't know if regedit.exe was indeed the correct program.

So, problem(s) solved, and all is right with the world. Thanks to all, especially AndrewT, Tony, and Schido for the help. I learned a lot from this experience. Unfortunately at my advanced age, by this time tomorrow I'll probably have forgotten it all.

tanstaafl.

#302490 - 27/09/2007 18:46 Re: Windows XP problem: "Show Desktop" icon no longer works [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I'm glad you got it sorted.

The fact that your SCF file association was messed up is a worry, still. I wonder which others are messed up.

#302491 - 27/09/2007 19:57 Re: Windows XP problem: "Show Desktop" icon no longer works [Re: tfabris]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I wonder which others are messed up.

To the best of my knowledge, none.

For a three or four year old installation, my computer runs remarkably smoothly. This SCF business was the first real problem I've had. I have a lot of applications installed, a lot of peripherals connected (last week I had to move everything out of the room for the carpet layers, I had 34 separate, discrete cables to reconnect!) and everything works.

tanstaafl.

#302492 - 28/09/2007 21:52 Re: Windows XP problem: "Show Desktop" icon no longer works [Re: tfabris]
Phoenix42
veteran

Loc: MA but Irish born
Quote:
I don't think he's got a problem with installing TweakUI, I think where his problem lies is finding the option to repair default file associations buried in the extensive TweakUI property screens.

I really need to read slower, I feel like an 1d10t.

Edit: Fixed a broken end quote tag. Apparently you need to type slower, too. -wfaulk

Edited by wfaulk (29/09/2007 01:10)

#302493 - 29/09/2007 00:22 Re: Windows XP problem: "Show Desktop" icon no longer works [Re: Phoenix42]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Quote:
Quote:
I don't think he's got a problem with installing TweakUI, I think where his problem lies is finding the option to repair default file associations buried in the extensive TweakUI property screens.

I really need to read slower, I feel like an 1d10t.

One Dee Ten Tee. Have you been reading lately?

Maybe "Vorpal Blade" by John Ringo?

#302494 - 02/10/2007 04:26 Re: Windows XP problem: "Show Desktop" icon no longer works [Re: tfabris]
disp
new poster

got the same problem and was easily able to use the .scr fix to re-associate the .scf file to show the desktop BUT the icon is gone... how can i repair that?? the ico reg fix didnt do the trick
whats next to get the icon back please
thnx in advance

Edited by disp (02/10/2007 04:28)

#302495 - 02/10/2007 04:40 Re: Windows XP problem: "Show Desktop" icon no longer works [Re: tfabris]
disp
new poster

bingo tweakui fixed the icon associations fine thnks 4 vrythng

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2